The Lesser Known Sports of Taft High School

When you think of high school sports there is a typical list that comes to mind, baseball, volleyball, basketball or even Cheer. But did you know that Taft has an award-winning Archery Team and Equestrian Team?

While both these sports are individual sports, both equestrian and archery compete in teams.

The Equestrian team four members strong, if you include the horses, and is excited to be competing on behalf of Taft in dressage, jumper, and hunter jumper.

Left Emily Glickman and her horse Phantom. On the right Kennah Glickman and her horse Kiara at the Hanson Dam Equestrian Center October 28th 2018.

Equestrian meets, all hosted at the Hanson Dam Equestrian Center, bring together equestrian teams from schools all across Los Angeles County. Taft has been competing since Senior, and Equestrian Captain, Emily Glickman’s sophomore year. She was joined on the team by her sister this year, but hopes that if anyone at Taft is interested, let either Emily or Kennah Glickman know!

Kennah Glickman jumping Kiara at Hanson Dam Equestrian Center. October 28th 2018

To join the equestrian team there are a few requirements. The most important being access to a horse that can be shown in meets, as well as basic knowledge of riding. Experience in the English riding discipline is also required, with events being your preference based on your riding knowledge.

Archery is the other exciting though lesser-known sport here at Taft. Spearheaded by Trenton Cowles, the captain, and the lone member of the school sports team, Trenton is an award-winning archer, with many national and international records, as well as a multitude of international and local achievements. His most notable recent achievement is winning a youth Olympics gold medal on October 18th in Argentina.

Archery is new to Taft and was brought to us by Trenton when he joined our student body two years ago.

Most competitions Trenton participates in are not school-based events, but he is proudly representing Taft and the United States in his competitions.

The Taft Tribune looks forward to highlighting more from Trenton in future articles. But until then, check out the video from the USA Men’s individuals in Argentina!