• November 11Follow us on Instagram @tafttoreadornews

• October 19Welcome to the New Taft Tribune! Stories Updated every other Monday!

Taft Tribune

Seniors are off to College

Starting a new school year can be stressful, especially for the seniors. Although seniors may be busy getting back in the swing of the new school year, they shouldn’t forget to start their college applications. Getting started in the college application process can be extremely daunting and nerve-wracking. Now may just be the time to start digging into financial aid research and other preparations. From narrowing down your college options to crafting a creative essay and lining up stellar recommendations, it may seem impossible to accomplish (while also maintaining good grades and staying active in extracurricular activities) but, it’s actually easier when the process is broken down into smaller steps and you follow a plan. Find a list of important dates below!

Taft also has a wonderful college counselor, Ms. Young, who has put together resources for Seniors that are available in the college office. Listen during third-period announcements for information and signs ups for college fairs, presentations from different college representatives, and campus tours, all of which can help you find the college of your dreams. Ms. Young is always willing to meet with students and she recommends that if any seniors are struggling with decisions or finding information, they should see her as soon as they can. The College Office is open for drop-ins during nutrition and lunch, and there are Peer College Counselors available for further support during class time. Peer College Counselors are seniors who help the other students figure out the college process, and make sure all seniors are on track. They know lots of information about colleges, deadlines, ACT, SAT, scholarships, FAFSA and the application process. Any student can reach out to them and ask them any questions they may have. If you are able, feel free to stop by the college office anytime and talk to them. if you want to learn more about a specific college or university, feel free to stop by at the college office, sign up, and show up for the presentation. Make sure you take your SAT and ACT soon because there is not a lot of time left.

Here are some of the really important due dates to keep in mind by the end of the year. Pay attention to deadlines so you don’t miss them. Good Luck! Also If you have any questions about deadlines and anything else go on the college corner at Tafthigh.org

• The deadline to register for the December ACT is November 19th
    • (come to college office and get your Fee waiver ASAP)
  • The deadline to register for the December SAT is November 20th
  • CSU Applications (www.csumentor.com) are due on Nov. 30th 
  • UC Applications (www.universityofcalifornia.edu/admissions) are due on Nov. 30th 
  • March 2 – FAFSA APPLICATION (www.fafsa.ed.gov) & CAL GRANT DUE
    • (NO EXCEPTIONS!)