• November 11Follow us on Instagram @tafttoreadornews

• October 19Welcome to the New Taft Tribune! Stories Updated every other Monday!

Taft Tribune

Filed under News

Breaking News- Woolsey Fire

Back to Article
Back to Article

Breaking News- Woolsey Fire

A tragedy is raging in the Ventura and Los Angeles counties this week, with two large fires burning the hillsides. On Thursday evening residents of Thousand Oaks and Oak Park were evacuated due to encroaching fires. Taft Charter High School was designated as an evacuation center with help from the American Red Cross. With 50 cots set up in the gym, residents of Ventura County came to Taft seeking care and shelter in this trying time. The Big Gym was only able to accommodate 120 people, but with many staying in their vehicles with their pets (pets were not allowed on campus unless they were kept in a crate), Taft provided shelter and services to over 200 residents, some of which were our own Taft Faculty and Staff with their families.

As the fires continued to burn this weekend, the entire communities of Malibu and Calabasas have been evacuated. With Taft at capacity for those taking shelter, schools in the surrounding area also opened their doors to families in need, with Pierce College opening up three building to house those who had been displaced. 

The smoke from the Malibu fire reaching over to the Pacific.

In the coming days, we hope that those affected by this tragedy find comfort and strength in their family and communities rallying behind them. With the fires still burning, it is important that we all remain vigilant and take great care. If you are looking for up to date information about the fire and evacuations, please see the LA Fire Department interactive map linked below.

LAFD Fire Line Interactive Map

If you would like to support those who have been affected please see the links provided by ABC7. Animals are especially impacted and vulnerable during emergencies. They need our help.

Links to support Woolsey Victims

5 Comments

5 Responses to “Breaking News- Woolsey Fire”

1. Sela Ortiz on November 13th, 2018 8:32 am

Sad to see all of the people that had to evacuate from their homes. But I am glad that out school is helping!

2. Jakub Neeley on November 13th, 2018 10:33 am

The Southern California Edison Electric Company is being investigated as a possible starter of the Woosley Fire. 2 minutes before it happened, they reported their electric currents malfunctioning.

3. Elliot Hines on November 29th, 2018 8:35 pm

It is nice to see that our community opened their arms and helped people in need. However,I feel that is unfair not to let people in with their animals. Animals are treated like a family member. A lot of these people had to evacuate quickly and probably didn’t have time to grab their crates. I feel that Taft should have allowed people in with their pets.

4. Daniel Popescu on December 6th, 2018 10:57 am

I think that the fact that we were being used as a shelter is amazing! Even though the fire was very nearby, almost no smoke went in the direction of the school which gave everyone in the shelter a comfortable place to stay.

5. Gary Sarkisyan on December 12th, 2018 9:32 am

It’s really good/ nice to see how our Taft community will help out with anything that goes on in the environment, the school was comfortable having a shelter and I think that was really nice to help out with the fires that were nearby.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Breaking News- Woolsey Fire

News

Whose lane is it?

• Breaking News- Woolsey Fire

Arts & Entertainment

Taft Winter Choir Concert

• Breaking News- Woolsey Fire

News

Extinct Animal Resurfaces in Indonesia

• Breaking News- Woolsey Fire

News

#ThisIsNotConsent

• Breaking News- Woolsey Fire

News

Junior Steering Fundraising

• Breaking News- Woolsey Fire

News

Taft Robotics Team Makes Great Strides

• Breaking News- Woolsey Fire

News

Blood Drive- Follow Up

• Breaking News- Woolsey Fire

News

A Vintage Plane Causes Delays When Crashed on 101 Freeway

• Breaking News- Woolsey Fire

News

Santa 4 Students

• Breaking News- Woolsey Fire

News

Letter From The Editor: Welcome

The Student News Site of Taft Charter High School
Breaking News- Woolsey Fire