• February 16Want to write for the newspaper? See Ms. Coe for details.

• November 11Follow us on Instagram @tafttoreadornews

• October 19Welcome to the New Taft Tribune! Stories Updated every three weeks!

Taft Tribune

Filed under News

Extinct Animal Resurfaces in Indonesia

Recently, a rare tree kangaroo species thought to be extinct for 90 years has re-emerged from the forests of Indonesia. Previously, no sightings of the Wondiwoi Tree Kangaroo had been reported since 1928, as it was hunted to extinction. When the first person to find this species in 1928, a westerner, found and shot it in the mountains. This isn’t the first case of mass hunting in Indonesia, unfortunately, many animals are often hunted for their skin and meat. Others are killed off by greenhouse gasses, such as the Sumatran  Orangutan, the Sumatran tiger and the Sumatran elephant are all endangered from being hunted lucky multiple organizations around the world have started to keep some in captivity to avoid extinction and attempt to raise their population numbers. These two factors are harming these native animals populations.

The Wondiwoi Tree Kangaroo has a hook-like tail that is good for grabbing branches, it also has claws great for climbing trees. According to Smithsonian Recently, it was thought to be spotted by a merchant traveling with an amateur botanist on an expedition in an attempt to find the species. After 10 days of searching, the Wondiwoi Tree Kangaroo was discovered climbing a tree and it seemed to be alive and well. The animal, unharmed, and with no visible injuries surprised the team who rediscovered it. Scientists later investigated the habitat where the animal was found and started to study the creatures to obtain research information such as diet and preferred habitat. While the kangaroo species was discovered in one habitat, it is unclear if that is its  the deep rainforests of Indonesia are the preferred habitat of the species. Scientists will continue to study these creatures and have started a program to keep some in captivity to increase their population. Hopefully now that scientists have found the species not to be extinct, they can work on preserving them and preventing deforestation from taking their homes.

Resources: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/elusive-tree-kangaroo-spotted-first-time-90-years-180970413/

About the Writer
Bram Montijo, Photo Editor

Freshman at Taft Charter High School, Photo Editor for Taft Tribune.

7 Comments

7 Responses to “Extinct Animal Resurfaces in Indonesia”

1. Kevin Huerta on December 12th, 2018 9:31 am

Its sad to see the damage that we have caused to such innocent creatures of life and habitat. Good thing the poor things aren’t extinct, many animals don’y have the same amount of luck. It’s amazing how some people are stepping up to help these creatures.

2. rosa zolghadr on December 13th, 2018 11:52 am

People are killing animals because they want to use them in their life like they want to use animal’s skin to panache themselves to other that they can use expensive clothe. i think these people lost their humanity and they are very selfish and they don’t think that those animals have a right to live. they have feelings and hearts like humans. They kill them and they don’t think that those poor animals have family and their family will be sad like humans. I think we should stop this savage action.

3. Roman Peretti on March 4th, 2019 8:19 am

I find it very intresting that a species said to be exctinct can emerge from out of nowhere. I also find it sad that we will hunt down animals to the point of extinction just for our own personal gain. I feel we should take steps to help animals such as these come back into the world and move them away from being endagoured.

4. Ariyah Cohn on March 4th, 2019 11:29 am

There was such a thing as a tree kangaroo? A Wondiwoi Tree Kangaroo.

5. Sharry Eydel on March 4th, 2019 12:00 pm

This article was very interesting and well written. I learned something new and hope to see more articles like this one.

6. Artina Tarokh on March 4th, 2019 12:20 pm

It’s so interesting to see extinct animals come back. It bet it’s hard to be the last animal of a kind. But now that it’s returned we must try our hardest to keep them safe.

7. Shayla Coutino on March 4th, 2019 3:04 pm

Poor Tree Kangaroos, they were being hunted to extinction. I can’t believe that people would kill this animal just for their skin and meat. I hope that scientists can preserve them and their homes. They had just reappeared and it would be devistating if they go extinct again. It would also be nice if the New Guinea government enforced their rules about poaching, so that this will be prevented for other animals.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Extinct Animal Resurfaces in Indonesia

News

DHH Students Find New Purpose: Taft Eats

News

Our Impending Doom

News

Homelessness In Different Environments

News

Covington High School Students in the Center of National Mall

News

What the WASC?!

News

Taft Teachers Make the News during the UTLA Strike

News

Whose lane is it?

Arts & Entertainment

Taft Winter Choir Concert

News

#ThisIsNotConsent

News

Junior Steering Fundraising

The Student News Site of Taft Charter High School
Extinct Animal Resurfaces in Indonesia