• November 11Follow us on Instagram @tafttoreadornews

• October 19Welcome to the New Taft Tribune! Stories Updated every other Monday!

Taft Tribune

Filed under News

Extinct Animal Resurfaces in Indonesia

Recently, a rare tree kangaroo species thought to be extinct for 90 years has re-emerged from the forests of Indonesia. Previously, no sightings of the Wondiwoi Tree Kangaroo had been reported since 1928, as it was hunted to extinction. When the first person to find this species in 1928, a westerner, found and shot it in the mountains. This isn’t the first case of mass hunting in Indonesia, unfortunately, many animals are often hunted for their skin and meat. Others are killed off by greenhouse gasses, such as the Sumatran  Orangutan, the Sumatran tiger and the Sumatran elephant are all endangered from being hunted lucky multiple organizations around the world have started to keep some in captivity to avoid extinction and attempt to raise their population numbers. These two factors are harming these native animals populations.

The Wondiwoi Tree Kangaroo has a hook-like tail that is good for grabbing branches, it also has claws great for climbing trees. According to Smithsonian Recently, it was thought to be spotted by a merchant traveling with an amateur botanist on an expedition in an attempt to find the species. After 10 days of searching, the Wondiwoi Tree Kangaroo was discovered climbing a tree and it seemed to be alive and well. The animal, unharmed, and with no visible injuries surprised the team who rediscovered it. Scientists later investigated the habitat where the animal was found and started to study the creatures to obtain research information such as diet and preferred habitat. While the kangaroo species was discovered in one habitat, it is unclear if that is its  the deep rainforests of Indonesia are the preferred habitat of the species. Scientists will continue to study these creatures and have started a program to keep some in captivity to increase their population. Hopefully now that scientists have found the species not to be extinct, they can work on preserving them and preventing deforestation from taking their homes.

Resources: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/elusive-tree-kangaroo-spotted-first-time-90-years-180970413/

About the Writer
Bram Montijo, Photo Editor

Freshman at Taft Charter High School, Photo Editor for Taft Tribune.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Extinct Animal Resurfaces in Indonesia”

1. Kevin Huerta on December 12th, 2018 9:31 am

Its sad to see the damage that we have caused to such innocent creatures of life and habitat. Good thing the poor things aren’t extinct, many animals don’y have the same amount of luck. It’s amazing how some people are stepping up to help these creatures.

2. rosa zolghadr on December 13th, 2018 11:52 am

People are killing animals because they want to use them in their life like they want to use animal’s skin to panache themselves to other that they can use expensive clothe. i think these people lost their humanity and they are very selfish and they don’t think that those animals have a right to live. they have feelings and hearts like humans. They kill them and they don’t think that those poor animals have family and their family will be sad like humans. I think we should stop this savage action.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Extinct Animal Resurfaces in Indonesia

News

Whose lane is it?

Arts & Entertainment

Taft Winter Choir Concert

News

#ThisIsNotConsent

News

Junior Steering Fundraising

News

Breaking News- Woolsey Fire

News

Taft Robotics Team Makes Great Strides

News

Blood Drive- Follow Up

News

A Vintage Plane Causes Delays When Crashed on 101 Freeway

News

Santa 4 Students

News

Letter From The Editor: Welcome

The Student News Site of Taft Charter High School
Extinct Animal Resurfaces in Indonesia