• February 16Want to write for the newspaper? See Ms. Coe for details.

• November 11Follow us on Instagram @tafttoreadornews

• October 19Welcome to the New Taft Tribune! Stories Updated every three weeks!

Taft Tribune

Filed under Toreador Spotlight

Toreador Spotlight – Mrs. Coe

Back to Article
Back to Article

Toreador Spotlight – Mrs. Coe

The library has been brought back to life since Mrs. Coe took over in 2017. It’s not your ordinary library; it’s become a community where one can find computers and a printer for homework, board games, and cards to play when you are bored, and a safe place to be when you need to relax. Mrs. Coe has become a resource for many students, during nutrition, lunch, and after school, you can find a room filled with students, working on a variety of things. Mrs. Coe seems like she was born to be a librarian, being an avid reader her whole life it only seems fit. But Mrs. Coe started out with a very different path.

During her bachelor’s degree at Fresno State, Mrs. Coe studied Communicative Disorders and Deaf Studies. After which she returned to LA to attend CSUN where she then earned her teaching credential in special education with an emphasis in Deaf and Hard of Hearing education. After her studies, she taught middle school and high school at a special education school for the Deaf. Instead of teaching one subject, she taught everything from Art to Science to English. Secretly preparing her for working with all subjects in the library.

Once she made the transition into her role as librarian, she took the position and responsibility to heart. While the library is different than classroom teaching, she has been blessed to be able to apply her background in Special Ed and specifically working with the DHH students on campus. DHH kids can now hang out in the library without their interpreter constantly following them. It gives them a sense of independence and autonomy that they usually don’t have other places on campus.

These days being a librarian means so much more than checking out books. Mrs. Coe, our library media teacher is in charge of Schoology, computers, digital citizenship, research, and even a new Book Club. She is also an important and active member of the Social Emotional Learning team who is dedicated to making sure that students have the most positive social emotional experience that Taft can offer. We are so excited to have her on our campus and so lucky to have a teacher-librarian who goes above and beyond. This year, once she found out that Taft was short a Journalism teacher, she signed up to be the advisor. Largely thanks to her dedication to the program, students are working online, learning digital tools and a program where they work together online to create our school newspaper. “When I was offered journalism, it was because Taft had a need and I wanted to do my part to support the school. I did not realize how much I would enjoy having a class all my own. Journalism has opened my eyes to the smart and talented students at Taft and I am so proud of everything the journalism students have accomplished this semester.” Mrs. Coe’s job entails a LOT of hard work, but through a lot of effort, dedication, a love of students and of teaching, she has improved and continues to improve the atmosphere on campus.

About the Writer
Aria Taherian, Managing Editor, Copy Editor, Space Captain

First-time senior, long time reader. Copy Editor. Managing Editor. I do all the things.

Kinda.

1 Comment

One Response to “Toreador Spotlight – Mrs. Coe”

1. Sarah Acuna on December 10th, 2018 11:06 am

I love Mrs. Coe! She has always been a supportive listener & helper, and I always feel welcome in the library! :)))

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Toreador Spotlight – Mrs. Coe

Toreador Spotlight

Taft Students Go to College

• Toreador Spotlight – Mrs. Coe

Toreador Spotlight

Academic Decathlon is Looking for New Members

• Toreador Spotlight – Mrs. Coe

Toreador Spotlight

AP Testing The Do’s and Dont’s

• Toreador Spotlight – Mrs. Coe

Sports

Taft Track and the Works

• Toreador Spotlight – Mrs. Coe

Toreador Spotlight

Toreador Spotlight: Video Production and Photography

• Toreador Spotlight – Mrs. Coe

Culture

College Office Provides Valuable Resources to Students on Campus

• Toreador Spotlight – Mrs. Coe

News

DHH Students Find New Purpose: Taft Eats

• Toreador Spotlight – Mrs. Coe

Toreador Spotlight

Senior Dodgeball Night

• Toreador Spotlight – Mrs. Coe

Culture

The 17th Annual Soul Food Cook-Off

• Toreador Spotlight – Mrs. Coe

Culture

Powder Puff Spirit Week- Taft Shows its Pride!

The Student News Site of Taft Charter High School
Toreador Spotlight – Mrs. Coe