The 17th Annual Soul Food Cook-Off

Destiny Clark

As soulful music plays through the speakers in Taft Hall and the overwhelming smell of a variety of different foods invades the room, the students of Mr. Tucker’s classes are filling up the tables. In honor of Black History Month, the traditional Soul Food Cook-Off is taking place. Students of multiple classes are bringing a variety of different dishes prepared for this very event to share with their peers and even teachers! More than a hundred dishes are brought, leaving students with enough food to go for seconds and then some. Not only were students able to enjoy some delicious food, but they also were able to view an incredible show as well. The afternoon was filled with outstanding performances by Katherine Marsh, Stori Ndiritu, Kennedy Richardson, Nya Bingy and many others. The performers recited their very own poetry and they even sang songs about the African American experience and culture and its relationship to society.

The show was hosted by Stori Ndiritu who was filled with great spirit and enthusiasm. When asked about her feelings towards the Soul Food Cook-Off and the performances, she had this to say, “The Soul Food Cook-Off was a great opportunity for African American students and allies to come together to enjoy traditional soulful dishes as well as some other dishes from other cultures. The event radiated African American culture from the music to the food, and finally, the BSU showcase performances. The Soul Food Cook-Off is an event that should not be missed. It was an event where black culture is celebrated.”

One of the brilliant performers and president of the Black Student Union, Katherine Marsh, was asked what word she would use to describe her poetry, to which she responded “empowering.” She was also asked what the main idea of her poetry was and she said, “My poetry was about what it really means to be a black girl in a world where our culture is constantly shamed in society but exploited in mainstream media. Whether it be fashion or art, music or traditions, being black in America is a challenge even if you’re just ‘black-ish.’”

The 17th Annual Soul Food Cook-Off proved to be an enjoyable event for all who attended. Students left this celebration with a full stomach and a new understanding of African American culture. The Soul Food Cook-Off was one for the books and was a great way to end Black History Month.