Scary Movies You Have to See in October

Eduardo Sánchez and Daniel Myrick

One of the three students, Heather, filming after her horrors in the forest.

October is the month for horror and, now that it is here, you might find yourself looking to find movies to watch with your friends, family, or frighteningly, all by yourself. Here’s a list of movies that will leave you shivering and needing a night light.

1. Halloween (1978)
Halloween takes place in the fall of 1978, 15 years after Michael Myers is sentenced and locked away for the murder of his sister. On Halloween, he escapes and returns to his hometown in Illinois to look for his next victims. This movie is a classic that still holds up as a horror movie. Hearing the theme song will scare you, even after you finish the movie.

John Carpenter
Michael Meyers in the 1978 Halloween movie.

2. The Conjuring (2013)
The year is 1970 and Perron’s family has moved into a farmhouse, but strange and dangerous events lead the family to call the Warrens, supernatural investigators who try to save the family from the poltergeist haunting them. If you haven’t already seen this, this is an amazing horror movie with jump scares that will shake you to the bone.

James Wan
Lorraine Warren exorcising Carolyn Perron in the Perron Family home from The Conjuring.

3. The Babadook (2014)
Amelia and Samuel, a mother and son duo who live a life plagued by the death of Amelia’s husband. Amelia struggles to handle her son and his fear of monsters all alone. But after a strange book appears on Samuel’s bookshelf, they find themselves battling a real monster. The Babadook uses amazing camera work and storytelling to develop this terrifying story and it’s a must-see.

Jennifer Kent
A scene from the Babadook in which the children’s storybook depicting the sad future for Amelia and Samuel.

4. It (2017)
Based on Stephen King’s book of the same name, It takes place in the fictional town of Derry in Maine, in the summer of 1989. As local children begin to go missing, a group of 7 children- dubbed “The Loser’s Club” decides to investigate and discover the horrors behind the missing children. It is a popular movie right now and it’s definitely earned its popularity.

Andrés Muschietti
Pennywise from the movie It, terrorizing the Loser’s Club

5. The Exorcist (1973)
Loosely based on a true story, The Exorcist shares the story of Regan. Regan is a normal girl but when she starts acting strange, her mother decides to seek medical help. When doctors don’t have the answers, a local priest suggests the answer to their problems may be an exorcism. As it is loosely based on the story of Roland Doe, The Exorcist is sure to entertain and leave you wanting some holy water just in case…

William Friedkin
Regan from The Exorcist, clearly showing signs of her possession.

6. Silence of the Lambs (1991)
Clarice is a student at the FBI’s training academy and is told to interview Hannibal Lector, a psychopathic psychiatrist who has been imprisoned for his violent and disturbing crimes, in hopes of getting insight into the kidnapping of a wealthy woman. This movie, though not necessarily the scariest, will keep you on the edge of your seat. It is truly a classic.

Jonathan Demme
Hannibal Lector in the 1991 Silence of the Lambs being taken into custody by the police.

7. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
Taking place in Santa Mira, California, the Invasion of the Body Snatchers follows Dr. Bennell, who is perplexed when all of his patients come in with the same complaint: their loved ones have been replaced by emotionless imposters. Despite not believing them at first, Dr. Bennell’s ex-girlfriend discovers that his patients are correct and that an alien species is taking over their town. While this movie has not aged very well, it is still a suspenseful movie that will leave you suspicious of all of your friends and family.

Don Siegel
Dr. Bennell and his former girlfriend in the Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

8. Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
Midwestern teenagers fall victim to Freddy Krueger, a murderer who haunts the teens while they dream. When murdered in their dreams, they die in real life as well. Nancy begins to investigate in hopes of stopping the deaths of her and her best friends.

Wes Craven
Freddy Krueger hunting the children down using their nightmares to kill them.

9. Carrie (1978)
Carrie White faces bullying at school and abuse at home due to her mother’s strict religious beliefs. After multiple strange occurrences, Carrie begins to believe she may have telekinesis. After being invited to prom as a malicious prank, Carrie goes from innocent to violent. This movie is disturbing to watch and Carrie is honestly a character one can sympathize with.

Brian de Palma
Carrie at her prom after being soaked in pig’s blood.

10. Friday the 13th (1980)
Crystal Lake has a curse, with counselors dying in strange ways that are clearly not just accidents. After being reopened, the counselors face a brutal killer and try to survive. A classic like this deserves to be watched and the series is a clear reminder to not go camping on Friday the 13th.

Sean S. Cunningham
At Camp Cook, Annie is the first to die at the hands of the murderer.

11. Hereditary (2018)
When the matriarch of the Graham family dies, her daughter’s family slowly begins to unravel the dark secrets of her life and their ties to a strange cult. This movie has so many twists and turns that you could never predict it’s ending or any of the troubles faced. This movie is artistic, terrifying and it’s definitely a must-see.

Ari Aster
Charlie from Hereditary after leaving her treehouse.

12. Night of the Living Dead (1968)
The dead are suddenly coming back and attacking the living! In this rural town in Pennsylvania, survivors are locked in a farmhouse trying to survive the night. This movie may be old, but it is definitely something to scare you. Its age may affect the quality and special effects but overall, this movie has given me nightmares.

George A. Romero
The undead from Night of the Living Dead

13. The Blair Witch Project (1999)
Three film students travel to a small town to collect information on Blair Witch, a local murder legend. Their project is normal at first, with interviews of locals and tourist attractions. But it all takes a turn when they enter the woods and hear horrific sounds. This unusual way of getting a story across has affected horror forever. This movie is horrifying and will leave you scarred.

Eduardo Sánchez and Daniel Myrick

These are some must-see horror movies. Some are classics and some are more modern but overall, these movies have left lasting effects on the horror industry and will persist in scaring you decades after their release dates.