Breaking News
  • New Articles Every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday!
  • Follow us on Instagram @taft.tribune
The Student News Site of Taft Charter High School

Taft Tribune

Taft Tribune

Taft Tribune

With Akira Toriyama’s Death, Anime Fans Lose One of the Genre’s Greatest Influences

Dall-E3 (via Bing)
Dragonball character Goku mourns the loss of his creator, artist Akira Toriyama

The world of manga and anime has lost one of its brightest stars with the passing of Akira Toriyama. His untimely demise on March 1st due to acute subdural hematoma, sent shockwaves through the global community, eliciting an outpouring of grief from fans, fellow artists, and collaborators alike. Renowned for his iconic creations such as Dragon Ball and Dr. Slump, Toriyama’s influence extended far beyond the realm of manga, leaving an indelible mark on popular culture worldwide.

Toriyama’s journey as a manga artist began with Dr. Slump, a whimsical and humorous series that captured the hearts of readers with its quirky characters and imaginative storytelling. However, it was his magnum opus, Dragon Ball, that catapulted him to legendary status. Spanning over three decades, the Dragon Ball series, which was one of his most popular projects, became a cultural phenomenon, captivating audiences with its epic battles, vibrant characters, and timeless themes of friendship, perseverance, and self-discovery. Through the adventures of Goku (the main character from Dragon Ball) and his companions, Toriyama crafted a narrative that transcended generations, inspiring countless individuals and shaping the landscape of modern manga and anime.

Beyond his contributions to manga, Toriyama’s artistic prowess extended to the realm of video games, where he lent his talents as a character designer for iconic titles such as the Dragon Quest series, Chrono Trigger, and Blue Dragon. Collaborating with esteemed game designers like Yuji Horii (a close friend), Toriyama played a pivotal role in shaping the visual identity of these beloved franchises, further solidifying his status as a multimedia visionary.

The news of Toriyama’s passing reverberated across social media platforms, with tributes pouring in from fans and colleagues alike. Horii expressed disbelief and sorrow at the loss, reflecting on their shared experiences working on Dragon Quest. Eiichiro Oda, creator of the acclaimed manga series One Piece, lamented the thought of never seeing his friend again, acknowledging Toriyama’s transformative impact on the manga industry.

Indeed, Toriyama’s contributions went beyond mere entertainment; he challenged conventional notions of storytelling, proving that manga could be both intellectually stimulating and universally appealing.

Among the countless fans mourning Toriyama’s passing was Taft senior Paulandrew Fonseca, whose heartfelt words echoed the sentiments of many. “For myself and countless others, Dragon Ball was more than just a manga—it was a guiding light, imparting valuable lessons about resilience, determination, and the power of friendship.”

Toriyama’s legacy lives on through the lives he touched and the stories he shared, continuing to inspire future generations of artists and storytellers. In retrospect, Akira Toriyama’s death serves as a poignant reminder of the profound impact one individual can have on the world. Through his boundless creativity, visionary storytelling, and unwavering passion, Toriyama transcended the boundaries of his craft, leaving behind a legacy that will endure for years to come.

As fans and admirers mourn his passing, they also celebrate his remarkable life and the immeasurable contributions he made to the world of manga and beyond. Though he may no longer walk among us, his spirit lives on in the hearts of those who continue to be inspired by his extraordinary legacy.