Resources For Students During COVID-19

COVID-19 has put a stop to almost every part of our daily lives, making it extremely hard to adjust to this version of a new “normal”. Although some encounters are still allowed to occur outside of the house, our lives have been transitioned to mainly online communication and education. LAUSD’s transition to online education has also meant that various resources for students and staff that would typically be provided at a physical school are now available online. From getting support from your school counselor, all the way to meal provision during this critical period we are facing, this article will provide you with a few available resources LAUSD has provided for students.

Supporting Your Mental Health

Since people are being urged to stay inside their homes, one may think that there is unlimited time to relax or practice self-care. Although this might be the case for some people, most student’s routines are almost the same as before quarantine, minus the hustle and bustle of attending physical school, and being able to hang out with friends in person. Other than that, students are still required to keep up with the stressors of their everyday lives such as attending classes (now online) and completing the usual amount of work necessary for school. Just because quarantine is acting as a mental break for some, doesn’t mean it applies to everyone. Mental health struggles are actively challenging for teenagers, and since COVID-19 has put us at a distance from the world it may seem even more difficult to find support. If you are seeking resources for this exact issue, a reliable LAUSD source would be the

LAUSD mental health hotline.  This hotline is open from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. on weekdays. If you are looking for another way to reach out (not via call), you can message this same service at [email protected]

Academic Inquiries

Although the virus has put a temporary stop to physical volunteering, campus touring, seminars, and other events surrounding academics, the push for college and beyond still continues. Reaching out to your counselor at Taft and remaining focused on achieving future goals are perfect ways to continue on with your journey throughout high school. Counselors should typically be available for students during the school day (8 am to 3 pm), but remain mindful of your counselor’s personal schedule and when they are specifically available. If you have forgotten who your counselor is or how to contact them, communicating with one of your teachers could solve the problem, and may help answer questions more efficiently.

Meal Resources During Quarantine

Almost exactly alike to a regular school day, LAUSD has partnered with Red Cross in order to provide two free meals a day for students in need. With the current status of the “Grab and Go” meal system, it doesn’t appear as though there are any requirements involving eligibility for the meals. These are completely free to LAUSD students on weekdays from 8 a.m. to 11 a.m. If you are wondering where you could find the location of these “Grab and Go” stations, there is a google map on the LAUSD webpage that can provide you with more information.

These resources are only a few out of the hundreds that LAUSD is supplying students and family members with throughout quarantine. Feel free to check the LAUSD website for information on anything that was not addressed or unclear in this article. LAUSD WEBSITE: https://achieve.lausd.net/resources