Breaking News
  • New Articles Every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday!
  • Follow us on Instagram @taft.tribune
The Student News Site of Taft Charter High School

Taft Tribune

Taft Tribune

Taft Tribune

REVIEW: Rodrigo’s GUTsy Sophomore Album

Larissa Hofmann, Universal Music Canada
Cover of Olivia Rodrigo’s sophmore album ‘GUTS’

Back in 2020, Olivia Rodrigo signed with her record label Geffen Records. She collaborated with Dan Nigro, Julia Michels, and Amy Allen while writing songs for GUTS. Olivia describes the genre of this album as pop, pop-rock, pop-punk, and indie rock. In a recent interview, she also shared that “Lacy” originally started as a poem she wrote in her college poetry class.

On September 8, 2023, Olivia Rodrigo released her sophomore album GUTS. She announced her lead single “Vampire” on June 30, 2023. Soon after Olivia released the single, it blew up on all social media platforms. Olivia then released her second single, “Bad idea right?” off the album on August 11, 2023.

GUTS consists of 12 songs, with hidden deluxe songs on different vinyl variations, which you can purchase at Target, Urban Outfitters, Walmart, and Amazon. Olivia performed her two leading singles from GUTS at the VMAs this year. It’s safe to say it was mouth-dropping. After her performance ‘failed’ as she had to be taken off stage while the stage was malfunctioning, it sparked concern throughout the audience. In reality, this was a faux malfunction that was supposed to be connected to the music video for “Vampire”.

Vampire was the first music video Olivia released for her album “GUTS”. The music video consists of her performing at an award show, where she then gets hit by a falling stage light. She then continues to perform as she is injured, as she is performing her stage crew tries pulling her off stage. At the end of the music video, she starts levitating off the floor as her security/management is chasing her down. Olivia’s second music video is for her 2nd track off her album, “Get him back!”. This music video was a collaboration with Apple. The music video was filmed with an iPhone 15. In this music video, she starts trashing a house and crashes a car, all while she and her clones start singing about how she wants to get her ex back after emotionally hurting her.

Olivia already has over 200 million streams in the United States, making this her second #1 album. All 12 songs off Guts have charted on Billboard’s Top 100’s Top 40. This isn’t the first time this has happened to Olivia, SOUR also charted Billboard’s Top 100’s Top 40. This makes Olivia the first artist to chart all songs from two career-opening albums in the Hot 100’s top 40. She also announced her tour, GUTS World Tour, which is set to start on February 23, 2024. Tickets will be available for purchase on Ticketmaster.com.