Breaking News
  • New Articles Every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday!
  • Follow us on Instagram @taft.tribune
The Student News Site of Taft Charter High School

Taft Tribune

Taft Tribune

Taft Tribune

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Julio Urias has been throwing punches, not pitches this season

Julio Urias is known for throwing the last pitch which gave the Los Angeles Dodgers the 2020 World Series Championship, but now he may be more known for his domestic violence arrests
Dall-E Via Bing.com

On September 3rd, 2023 Dodger star Julio Urias was taken into custody in Exposition Park after the LAFC against Inter Miami game that night. According to news outlets he was booked due to a corporal injury to a spouse or partner. When taken into custody he was posted a 50,000 dollar bail. Urias is scheduled to show up to court on September 27th. 

The Los Angeles Dodgers said in a statement, “The Dodgers take all allegations of this kind in this case very seriously, and we do not condone or excuse any acts of domestic violence. We are fully cooperating with MLB’s investigation and support MLB’s and the Commissioner’s enforcement of the policy.”

Julio didn’t travel with the team to face the Miami Marlins last week. On September 6th The Los Angeles Dodgers placed Julio Urias on the restricted list meaning he is done for the 2023 season. Even while on leave, he is still getting paid. The Dodgers even canceled his bobblehead night scheduled for September 21st. Instead, they have switched it to a collectors vault night. 

Julio Urias had just broken his career record by hitting 700 career strikeouts. Urias is supposed to become a free agent once this season is over, which causes the media to believe that he will not resign or sign with another team. People were speculating earlier this season about his probability of getting into the Cy Young Award ballot because he almost had made it in the 2022 season. What fans are now thinking is that since this is 2nd arrest for domestic violence, he might have ended his career.  

The speculation of his history of domestic abuse began in May of 2019 when he was charged for allegedly pushing a woman into a fence. He was suspended 20 games but didn’t get prosecuted, only on the condition that he completed 52 weeks of domestic violence counseling, which he completed.

The Dodgers are currently at 87 wins and 55 losses this season.

**Update as of April 12, 2024.**

The former Dodger pitcher was charged with five misdemeanors after his September arrest. The charges include one count of false imprisonment, one account of spousal battery, one account of assault, and two counts of domestic battery and is scheduled to be arraigned on May 2, 2024. As of now, Urias is a free agent.
View Comments (2)