• February 16Want to write for the newspaper? See Ms. Coe for details.

• November 11Follow us on Instagram @tafttoreadornews

• October 19Welcome to the New Taft Tribune! Stories Updated every three weeks!

Taft Tribune

Filed under Sports

Update: Taft Football- one player’s perspective

Back to Article
Back to Article

Wanna know about how the Taft football team did this season?

The Taft Tribune was able to interview a member of the Toreador football team about the ending of their Fall 2018 season. Tyler Norman is the left and right tackle and has been on the football team for 1 year. As a member of the team, he knows that they are in a bad state at the moment. But there are still a few good devoted players that try to keep everyone motivated on the team. Tyler thinks more of these players should be on the team. Tyler did not stop trying to motivate his teammates until the season ended.

When asked about his thoughts about the football team’s stats this year, Tyler says the team doesn’t do well in the first half but slightly catches up in the second half. Tyler said, “Since the football team is not conditioned enough physically and mentally, [we have] bad coordination and bad chemistry between the players. [This further complicated our season and] made it not possible to win”. Now we need to look forward to next season, there’s still hope for the team to not lose every game in 2019.

Tyler says next year the team will be much better and stronger physically and mentally. “We are conditioning hard during offseason and will be prepared.” He sees potential during practice in every player. They all look out for each other and give constructive criticism on certain plays. He sees the future of Taft Football being positive. “I can safely say I am excited about 2019 Taft Football season.”

9 Comments

9 Responses to “Update: Taft Football- one player’s perspective”

1. christopher on December 5th, 2018 9:42 am

this football season has been a bummer but we do believe we will do better next season as we are now weeding out the weak and unmotivated as our new head coach is actually the old coach back in the glory days. we are separating the wheat from the chaff and many of us now do two or more sports

2. Matthew Moran on December 5th, 2018 9:42 am

As a part of the Taft varsity football team,I agree with what Tyler says.We need motivation on the team,in the locker room you would never hear “we got this guys” nor “we got this game” instead we’d make bets of how badly we’d lose,guessing the score.After the second game many people lost their fire and progressively with internal problems we lost a lot of people physically and mentally because if your heart isn’t in the game,you might as well not play.I have high hopes for this season but we need two things,more people and more hearts because have 100 players is great but if only 9 have heart for the game,the rest will let us down,instead of talking trash about your football team,get up your butt and do something about it.

3. Jeremy Paterson on March 4th, 2019 9:22 am

As apart of the football team, I am just as excited or possibly even more excited than Tyler for the upcoming football season. At the moment we seem that we are developing more as a team since the arrival of coach Tucker. I feel that there should be more incite on the 2019 season. There should be an interview on some more varsity players preferably Abey Thomas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Jaxobi Ashford on March 4th, 2019 9:38 am

As an athlete on Taft Track, I can whole-heartedly agree with how critical support and motivation is within a team. When a team’s players respect and care for each other, their gameplay and overall performance is drastically increased. Additionally, i’ve spoken with members of the football team and all of them have potential to be star players, yet none have the determination to later in the season.

5. Alex Kohanchi on March 4th, 2019 1:50 pm

As an athlete on the Taft boy’s volleyball, I agree that having good chemistry among the team is very important for the team to succeed. So is proper training to motivate the football players for the season. Getting rid of unmotivated players will hopefully be effective in making the team succeed.

6. football player on March 4th, 2019 2:04 pm

As a member of the Taft football team, I personally agree with everything Tyler explains in this article. The team needs to begin thinking together and see similar reachable goals. Being on Taft football is a choice, but respect is earned through commitment and some players are not willing to put that in. I also see Taft football being successful in the future because the change in administration and the commitment the new coach is willing to put in.

7. Nathan on March 4th, 2019 2:55 pm

Maybe next year the football team will make a total recovery! I Look forward to the day. The new coach seems like a good change and I admire the dedication.

8. alexis cabrera on March 6th, 2019 11:32 am

As a member of the football team i agree that we will work our hardest and do our best in every practice and even more effort into the game

9. Abey on March 11th, 2019 11:02 am

As another member of the Taft Varsity Football Team, I am excited to say that we are going to have a great season this upcoming year. We are working hard to bring glory back to Taft everyday. Though last year we were not united, this year we all share the same burning desire to prove ourselves again.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Update: Taft Football- one player’s perspective

Sports

Esports at Taft: The Interview

Sports

Softball

Sports

Taft Soccer

Sports

Taft Track and the Works

Sports

Boy’s Basketball: Senior Night

Sports

Girl’s Basketball: Senior Night

Sports

Congrats to the Girls JV Basketball Team!

Sports

Lakers Attempt to Bring Anthony Davis

Sports

Stephen Curry Kid Sneakers Now Includes Girl Sizes

Sports

Girl’s Tennis Wins CIF Championship!

The Student News Site of Taft Charter High School