• February 16Want to write for the newspaper? See Ms. Coe for details.

• November 11Follow us on Instagram @tafttoreadornews

• October 19Welcome to the New Taft Tribune! Stories Updated every three weeks!

Taft Tribune

Filed under Culture

“Create and Destroy” Takes Audience on Emotional Journey

Back to Article
Back to Article

Every year we are privileged to have our Winter and Spring dance concerts. This winter’s dance concert, “Create and Destroy”,  was truly a show for the books. The creators of this show made it so we can see how they create and destroy ignorance. Each dance performance had a beautiful message which made it look like an art piece. The crowd was rushed with all types of emotion as the dancers moved between pieces. The show was a true experience with total blackouts between performances to keep the audience in the headspace providing vulnerability as they witnessed heart-wrenching performances by the dance team.

The show opened with a dance by the seniors entitled “SNR GNG”. This piece leads the show with an upbeat performance hooking the audience with catchy tunes and a mix of hip-hop and contemporary dancing. The show would eventually lead to darker themes and more difficult and emotional pieces, but the first dance was a fun and boisterous event to get the night started. Dance concert was filled with many dances, not just created by dance team themselves. Anyone can choreograph a dance even if they are not on the team, it would just have to be auditioned to be included.

One of the dances that was really beautiful and eye-opening was “Forgot How to Love”.  It had a beautiful message to it as it started off with the dancers wearing shirts with hurtful, loathsome words on it and ended with them removing those shirts as they danced to the song “idontwannabeyouanymore” by Billie Eilish. Senior Marek Amirkhazi was one of the dancers to that piece. It was heartwarming as he said it was his favorite dance because it helped him express his emotions and leave everything on the dance floor.  

They included a fast-paced, upbeat dance called “Filipino, Filipino” where a group of dancers just let out the rambunctious side to them. It started off with a simple salute to their flag and then a burst of energy followed afterward as they began dancing. It was a nice piece to watch, especially with the mini-conversations about sticking together added within the dance with some of the performers. Senior Sommer Melton had said “Filipino, Filipino” was one of her favorites. This dance concert was creative. She mentioned that the team tried their best to relate their dances to the name of the show, “Create and Destroy”. They did an extravagant job at doing so. She felt her performance was great because she loves dancing with her team, it was a great experience to dance with them as this will be her last year.

Overall, this dance concert was beautiful. It had many dances and each one told a different story but all fit under the title of the show. Performer Marek Amirkhazi said it best when he said the concert was full of so much compassion and so many meaningful stories expressing everyone’s true form of themselves. If you missed this dance concert, make sure not to miss the one next semester. It is always a great experience going to them.

About the Writer
Briana Alcaraz, Writer, Managing Editor

Taft senior, 17 years old, likes to socialize with just about everyone.