Edgenuity- Where Learning Clicks

There is a common problem looming over the heads of students at Taft High School, “what will I do if I fail my classes?” While failing a class is already stressful enough as it is it’s required for you attend if you failed an a-g course. This is where Edgenuity comes in. Edgenuity a credit recovery program that allows students to retake classes online or at Thoreau Continuation school. Some ridicule the program (LA Times) but it is seen as a life-saving program for students who are struggling. The convenience of the site makes it easy to use; students can access it from anything with an internet connection and work at their own pace. While the courses may be convenient, if a student wants all classes online, they would need to transfer to Thoreau. When looking at the validity and rigor of the courses “I don’t think anyone has ever looked at our courses and said these aren’t hard enough. The courses themselves are very rigorous. There is not a need to make our courses harder,” said Deborah Rayow, vice president of Core Curriculum and Credit Recovery for Edgenuity, to the LA School report staff.

When asked about Edgenuity, Ms. Sanchez, one of the Counselors at Taft, said that she appreciates it because “it provides an opportunity for students to catch up”. It is important for all students to remember that even though these classes are self-paced,  “students do not have forever to finish their classes, and they need to focus and not put it off.” – Ms. Sanchez, senior counselor.

Here’s what one student said about Edgenuity, “I like it because it is something I am used to, and I am comfortable with it. It is less time consuming because I can do it at home, and it is convenient.” All in all, Edgenuity is a great resource for students who are looking to recover missed credits.