DHH Students Find New Purpose: Taft Eats

The DHH program has recently started a new program called “Taft Eats” which helps students prepare for their future. Ms. Kaufman, the head coordinator of the Taft Eats, started this program around a month ago. With only seven students in it, the program is still very small.  But the program’s goal is to help the students on how to have a job and how they interact with their outside environment independently

The program’s plan is to deliver to all the staff at Taft by taking their orders, going across the street and delivering to the teachers. However, since the program is still new, they are taking baby steps. Right now, the students are only taking orders from A building and their supervisors are picking up the orders but they are still delivering to the teachers. This month they are slowly expanding to B, C and D buildings. Since this is a job, the employees will get paid from how much the delivery costs which ranges from $1 to even $2.75. With this money, students will know how to finance their money and save up so they can have a party in the class. The amount of money may be small but it paves the way for them entering the adult world.

To be an employee at Taft Eats there is no grade limit. As long that they are in Ms. Kaufman’s class they are able to participate in it. This is not a solo job, everyone works together when doing deliveries. A student will pull the cart of drinks to the rooms where the customers are at. While on the job, Lidia A. and her fellow coworkers express their excitement when delivering their orders. Being a Taft Eats employee may seem simple but it paves the way for the adult world. Employees in the future will expand from not only Starbucks but to later Ralphs and Panda Express. Seeing this business unfold has a very exciting and promising future. If you ever need a coffee, hit up Taft Eats! Their service is excellent!