College Decisions

The Stressful Steps to Decision Making

College Decisions

The most stressful time for high school seniors at Taft has now ended, college decisions. Waiting has been a nuisance for many students ever since they submitted their application; patience is not the strong suit of high school seniors. But now that this anxiety of waiting is over, it is time to decide: what’s next? Whether you were accepted to your dream college, or you didn’t get into your safety school now is the time to think about what you have to do to take your next steps and get ready for a time after graduation.

For those who got accepted, the next questions will include, where are you living? When can you sign up for classes? What placement tests do you need to take for general ed requirements?

Commit to your college.

When you have finally decided what college you want to attend let them know. Most colleges require you to send a deposit and a letter saying that you are willing to commit to the college. For the other colleges that you have decided not to attend it is best to let them know.

Send documents.

After you have been celebrating for your most significant accomplishment and committing to a college, it is now time to send important documents to your school. Your school will most likely have a portal, and they will ask for any more materials such as financial aid, your final transcript, and medical forms. Always be attentive to your emails because your school will send an email at any moment stating that they need a specific document. Be aware that after committing to your school, they might request right away to have you take a placement test for your English and Math classes.

Use social media.

It might sound odd at first, but you should follow any social media accounts that your school might have. Pay attention to who they support. You can start looking at the clubs that there are at the school and help them. It might create a friendship within the groups, and you can introduce yourself even before you even stepped foot in your school.

LISTS!

This step might be the trickiest one of all, which is planning what to do for college. There will be many lists that you will be compiling. One of them will be what classes would you like to take. The lessons that your school offers will most likely be online or in the handbook; they will show you the type, of course, the description, and the name of the professor. Some sites help you get an idea of how your professor will be in class and give reviews about them. Then you can make your decisions regarding your classes. By the time you will meet your counselor to decide your levels, they will ask you what your four-year plan is. This plan applies to even students who are in community college and are planning to transfer. Before you even go to see your counselor, you will have to have a plan in mind. This plan will show you what classes you plan to take and in what order. Having this already prepared will ease the decision making with you and your counselor.

Dorms

Living in a dorm will be hard at first. You will have to make a list of all the supplies you need from bed sheets to toothbrushes. But that is not the hardest part. The hardest part will be finding a roommate that you will be spending a year with. At many institutions, they offer a matching site for roommates. Roommates will fill out a profile about themselves of what they like and don’t want, and the site will match you with another person. But if that seems too weird for you, then you can always opt out by using social media and connecting with incoming students early so you can get a dorm together.

But last but not least, remember that not all your peers got into the colleges that they wanted. Be considerate and motivate them that their 2nd choice could turn out better than their first. They are not the only ones that are being rejected from their first choice college. Everything happens for a reason. Many students have experienced that their second choice was their right home. Recognize what might have caused for you not going you in the college. After you have done that, figure out your transfer plan. Remember, it is never too late to attend your dream college.

Once you have committed, you can finally relax and enjoy the last two months of your senior year experience. There will so many events following up such as prom, grad night and graduation. Cherish these moments with your friends. These two months will be the last ones with all your peers.